Based on Pastor Mark Driscoll’s Sermon: http://marshill.com/media/real-marriage/the-porn-path
1. Pornography creates an unhealthy father-daughter relationship. Why you ask? Many guys, like to look at younger girls, sadly this often means the younger the better. Watching the same images and videos containing these young girls gets imprinted in your brain over time and guess what? When your daughter becomes that age, you begin to look at her and her friends in the same way. Instead of protecting her and being the supportive, loving father that God desired, you look awkwardly at her and her friends because you don’t understand why you have these sexual thoughts. The truth is, many daughters grow up with fathers who entirely distanced themselves from them because of this problem, don’t be that dad.
2. Pornography is a fake reality that takes you further and further away from your problems. Maybe this sounds good to you but hear me out, what happens when a person runs from their problems? Do they typically solve them on their own or do they get worse? Pornography is just another outlet and escape from your day to day problems. Their are a million ways we try to escape the present reality of our situation, whether it be due to stress, personal problems, or even boredom, all pornography will do is make your problems worse in the long run.
3. Pornography involves many women who were forced into the business directly or indirectly. Many women are young, sexually abused, and drugged when they go into the porn business. Sexual exploitation is common in the pornography business and every time you visit a pornographic website, you are supporting it (regardless of whether you pay). It’s easy to look at pornography from your own perspective, but ask yourself, if you were a father or mother would you want your child going into the porn business? Probably not..
4. Pornography changes your brain. Scientists are discovering more and more that a person that continually engages in pornography activates the same pathway as those people doing Heroin or Cocaine. Not only that, when a man or woman continually uses pornography as a way to get pleasure, it begins to create new neural pathways that get stronger the more they are reinforced. This sets up the dangerous path to addiction.
5. Pornography is devastating to God, he hurts every time you watch it because he knows what is best for you and pornography simply does nothing for you.
6. Pornography hurts marriages. Pornography is not beneficial in any shape or form for a marriage, even if both people consent too it. Pornography is about lust, pure and simple. This is especially true for guys who get aroused even if a random girl says hi to them, don’t laugh, its true. Pornography is basically that on steroids, any guy that says he is just watching it to get tips for sex, or just to watch it for educational purposes, or for the relationship, its a bunch of non-sense, they are lying. You wonder why so many marriages end up in divorce? Pornography is the hidden secret that you probably don’t know about. You are training yourself to lust, pure and simple.
7. Pornography turns women into sex objects. Women were not built to have a relationship built entirely on sex and neither were men, however, the porn business depicts that exact reality. This of course creates expectations in a guy’s head that because the girl I just watched on a porn video is “willing” to have sex for nothing, no emotional attachment, no love, then my girlfriend or spouse will do the same. And you wonder why guys abuse women when they disagree with them for not having sex, or turning them down because she wants to talk instead of having sex, porn creates this dangerous reality.
The truth is, pornography hurts more people than you realize, if you care about your family, your wife or husband, your children, yourself, and God, surely one of these reasons would be enough to give it up, trust me, I’ve been there.
Do you struggle with pornography? Do you agree with the author’s statements? What is your opinion on pornography? Leave your comments below!